Required Data and Instructions
1. Certificate of Interview from a member of the Scholarship Committee - Request an appointment for interview by sending an email to the RES Scholarship Chairperson, Barry Quinn, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, include your full name, phone number, and the day(s) and time(s) you are available for an interview. Attach your resume to the email. Contact Barry Quinn at 585-737-1117 if you have not received a reply within three days. The interviewer will provide a certificate that the interview was conducted before January 17, 2017 (the interview deadline).
2. Transcript - Official copy of applicant’s current transcript showing grades for the entire enrollment in current school through the fall semester of 2016 and if a transfer student, courses taken and accepted from his/her prior college or university.
3. Resume - The same resume the applicant would use if applicant were applying for employment. Be sure to include the following information: name, permanent address, school address, college, degree and program, anticipated date of graduation, and any professional society memberships and leadership positions therein.
4. Applicant’s Letter - A letter written by the applicant addressed to the Chairman of the Scholarship Award Committee of the Rochester Engineering Society. This letter shall not be more than one typewritten page in length and should discuss the applicant’s position with respect to the following:
a. Why the applicant is studying engineering and chose his/her particular field.
b. Why the applicant is applying for the scholarship.
c. The applicant’s involvement in professional society activities, the leadership positions held and describe active involvement in other extra-curricular activities.
d. Statement that the scholarship will be used in engineering, engineering technology, science or technology studies in an undergraduate ABET-accredited program in September, 2016 should an award be presented.
5. Reference Letter #1 - Letter from the applicant’s faculty advisor in his/her current school. This letter should indicate the applicant’s standing in the class relative to other students, his/her course load and involvement.
6. Reference Letter #2 - Letter from a current or former employer who is not a relative, OR, a professor of engineering, science or technology in whose class the applicant has been or is presently enrolled.
Applicants must submit the six application required items listed above in one package or envelope, postmarked no later than January 20, 2017. The applicant should notify those persons supplying reference letters that timely response is critical. The reference letters must be submitted in individually sealed envelopes within the application package. Deliver or mail all items by January 20, 2017 to Rochester Engineering Society, 657 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14607. Note: All items must be submitted in that one package or envelope or they will be immediately disqualified from consideration.